Friday, November 25, 2016

Thanks4Giving


Yesterday for Thanksgiving, Milo and I  (Mac was sick, Lisa was cooking) grabbed the split boards and headed up to Stevens Pass for our inaugural rip up the mountain.  Now we've been splitting for the last 6 years but only a couple of times a year.  We split board, but we're not split boarders.  Usually we do it like we did yesterday, pre-season or when the season ends and there's' still a shitload of snow on the hill.  We're what you'd call season extenders in the split board world.  Definitely not the Deeper, Further, and Even Further type of dudes.  We prefer chairlifts, cats, choppers and car shuttles to self powered masochism.

So off we go, trudging thru pow, walking up a fucking hill with not enough snow to open the lifts.  Too many clothes on, sweating our balls off, thirsty, panting, trying to find a rhythm and a track that's already put in while tricking myself into thinking this is actually fun.  It was fun though, cause Milo and I were totally engaged talking about school, sports, chicks, college, shredding, and this is what kept my legs rolling.  We saw people along the way, dudes in proper set ups blowing by us, but we kept at it.

As Milo pulled away from me, I had time to think to myself and think I did.  The East Coast complaining went away and the West Coast everything's awesome came into play and I started to think how rad it was that I was climbing Stevens Pass with my son today.  I got to reflect on how thankful I was for this misery that I'm lucky to be apart of.

Last year at this time my Doctors told me that if I even came to the cabin that I could die.  Straight up.  "If you get any sort of virus, cold or cut, your immune system is so fragile that the distance you are from this hospital (61 miles) your body will go septic and by the time you come in here, it will be too late."  That's the shit our doctors told us.

My cadence kicked in and I was motivated not just to get to the top for the ride down, but pushed by all the people that I'm thankful for.  I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, that it takes a village to raise an idiot with cancer, and I'm living proof of it.

So with this post, I want to give thanks, thanks to the people that gave me the opportunity to be writing this post today:

First and foremost my Family - Lisa, Milo, Mac, Rocky, Clay and Leslie Macomber.

Seattle Caner Care / University of Washington - Dr. Becker, Sonny, Dr. Dan Egan, PA Peter Johnston, PA Kevin, Justin Shepard, Megan, Pilar, Sue, Lindsey, Molly, Erica, Lisa, Debra, Debby, Oliva, Emily, Nate, Natalie, Andrea, Jenn, Larissa, Mercedes, Toni, Cindy, Natalie, & Dr. Storb.

Hospital and Home Visitors: Greg and Julie, Pk, Gumby, Kasey and TJ Gundram, Bob, Ann and Dom Kelly, Gorio Bustamante, Roland Morgan, John, Frank & Aurora Logic, Ballard Pat & Laura McQueen, Riley Goodwin, Thomas Nash,  Sam & Jack Coleman,  Jess Placek,  Kyle Kennedy,  Dan Stanalonis, Kris Sweez,  Adam Gerkin,  Ry-Ry McLaughlin, Steve Kerr, Frank Martin, Steph V, Matt Sirotzki,  Bob and Sue Tontini, Cheryl and Nick Larson, Eddie Spaghetti, Jack Donovan, Beatrice, Lil Stevie and Emily Macomber.

Meal Providers: Michelle & Chuck Cole, Sam & Katy Coleman, Michelle and Stephanie Worely Fannel, Cynthia Coleman, Josh and Krista Burch, Jim Bob Hume, Pat and Jen Reinholt, Brian Bybee, Tristi and Matt Sirtozki, Greg and Julie Tontini, Lisa Glover, Cindy Wolfe, Sue and Dennis Nicholson, Scott and Cheryl Bracken, Martin and Alie Wolfson, Johanna, Sarah and Adam Bradley, Lynette, Blaine and Julie, Natasha Soultrain, Bruce & Kirsten Bannister, Cindy Lykins, Cheryl Ann, April & Kimo Cole, Cheryl Larson and Jean MacBarron.

People that kept Milo and Mac cancer free:  Kim, Jason, Wyatt and Owen Cline,  The Kellys, Carman Klothe, Skyer Klothe, Riley Goodwin, Mark Dangler, Myles Soderstrom, Matt Wainhouse, The Soultrains, Josh Dirkson, Ari Strickland, Brian Schaeffer, Suzanne Bridges, Stevens Pass, Kelly Carter and Chris Danforth.

Skype / FaceTime / Phone and Texters: Mike Rosen, Bruce & Cynthia, Mom and Dad, Emmet, Graves, Lizzy G, Griff, Evan Walker, Sweaty, Wilmoth, Krauth, Ed Munroe, Sparky, Dan Sullivan, Rob McCutchan, Kevin Addy, Matt Patti, Sarah Hudkins, Rahlves, Tony and Gab, Fletcher, Natalie Murphy, Chirs Dixson, Sister Giovanni, Jay Good, Jeff Baughn, Martino Fumagalli, Hor Hey Kleckner and Manny, Andy Hetzel, Benny Pelligrino, Inventor of Snowboarding, Doug Macomber, Becky and Steve Macomber, George Johnston, Justin Afflenux, Maxx Von Marbod, Dustin Craven, Brandon Cocard, Jj Catlett, Scott Stevens, Dan Brisse, Jess Kimura, Phil Jacques, Martino-Claudia-Julietta Fumagalli, Adolph Koleman, Griff, Tay Tay,  Steve and Debby, YourMom206 and many many more.

Yes I know I've left some people out, there's a thing called Chemo Brain, and I certainly have a little of that normally, but then add all that dope and I get dopier.   I'm sorry as I'm thankful for everyone that helped along the way.

To all of you that came, cooked, cleaned and called, thanks, thanks for giving me THIS Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment